Top 10 Tips for Raising Healthy Kids
You guys know I’m not an expert, doctor or nutritionist, but I do know a little something about kids and getting them to make healthier choices, when it comes to meals and snacks. With three kids, one grandchild and two nieces; I’ve lived and learned. Hopefully, my Top 10 Tips for Raising Healthy Kids will give you some new ideas, reiterate old ones and get your little ones (or big ones) started on the path to a healthier lifestyle!
I myself am very conscientious about what I put into my body. Of course, I’m even more choosey when it comes to my kids. As they grow and develop, I want them to be independent about food choices and enjoy their food, but I also want to teach them the food options that are most nutritious and the ones that aren’t so much.
Snacking can be the most difficult. My kids are like any others if they’re not motivated to get up and play, they’ll plop down in front of the TV with sugar laden treats. One snack we all agree on are the CLIF Kid Zbar®! My kids enjoy them because they’re sweet and tasty. And I love them because they’re perfectly portioned, made with organic ingredients, are Non-GMO, have no high fructose corn syrup or artificial flavors (or synthetic preservatives) and they contain the right blend of carbohydrates, fiber, protein, and fat to maintain kids’ energy…so kids can keep zipping and zooming along.
TOP 10 TIPS FOR RAISING HEALTHY KIDS
- Be a good role model- We’ve all heard- actions speak louder than words and it’s so true. You don’t have to be perfect, but if you’re consistently active and eating healthier foods, you’ll show them that good health is important to your family.
- Get moving- Balanced and active play lays the foundation for a skilled, healthy, resilient and successful society. The sad truth is that play is disappearing at home, in school and in communities. 70% of moms played outside when they were kids, 31% of their kids play outside today. It’s easier than you think- take the kids swimming, for a bike ride, run/walk around the block or just simply get outside and move.
- Encourage activities they really love- If they’re going to stick with an activity, they need to enjoy it. CLIF Kid encourages boys and girls everywhere to get outside, push boundaries and feed their adventures. Change it up and let your kids try everything from soccer to climbing trees.
- Get kids involved- I’ve definitely learned the hard way, that letting kids have some choice in what they eat makes for an easier meal time. Try planning at least one meal per week with your kids and eat together as often as possible. You can even let them help cook up the meal!
- Serve a variety of foods- Include all types of foods in your kids’ diets. Be sure you’re offering fruits, vegetables and whole grains. CLIF Kid Zbars are great option for a convenient grab-n-go snack, specially-crafted for kids’ developing taste buds and active lives.
- Teach your older kids about food labels- Kids should understand what they are eating and know the difference between a product that is nutritious and one that is not. In my household, we get a kick out of seeing who is getting more protein and vitamins. There are many nutritional food tracking apps that can be used to calculate the amount of calories and such you’re eating.
- Stay hydrated- Rather than sugary drinks and sodas, make sure your kids are quenching their thirst with water. I plain and simply just don’t buy sodas or other sugary drinks. If water is what’s available, water is what they’ll drink.
- Reward with praise rather than food- Rather than going out for an ice cream to celebrate good grades, how about a family movie or game night. Food can be fun, but good things should not be honored by sweets and treats all of the time.
- Limit TV time and time spent on other electronic devices- The less your kids are sitting around staring at a screen, the more active and healthy they’ll be. Chances are they’ll also be happier too!
- Be realistic- Adopting any new behavior takes time, so be patient and positive with your kids. If they see that you’re making an effort to be healthy, they’ll want to do the same. Small steps, one day at a time is all that it takes.
Swimming is one of our favorite types of play in the summer. It’s the perfect way to stay moving and still have loads of fun! But it sure does work up an appetite!
Something to think about….
What are some tips you have for encouraging your kids to lead a healthier lifestyle?
What’s your favorite flavor of CLIF Kid Zbar®? We personally love the Iced Oatmeal Cookie, but the Peanut Butter Chocolate is a close second. Take a looksie at all of the flavor varieties, get recipe ideas and find other CLIF Kid snacks on the CLIF Facebook page. Also, tune into this video for fun play ideas.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.