Thai Chicken Quinoa Salad
Good morning, friends! If all went according to plan; I’m most likely enjoying a little shut-eye before hitting the beach. We drove all night to Destin. Guest posting today, is Melanie! She is just as sweet in person as she seems on her blog and eeeek, she’s got a little bun in the oven! Without further ado… meet my friend and one of my favorite bloggers…
Hi to all of you wonderful Hungry Healthy Girl readers! My name is Melanie and I blog over at Beautifully Nutty. I was thrilled when Kim reached out to me to be a guest on her blog.
I was lucky enough to meet Kim at the Healthy Living Summit in Minneapolis, MN (my home state) last year. She is seriously the sweetest little thing; and that southern accent….don’t get me started. She’s adorable.
A quick little blurb about me:
I’m a Registered Dietitian living just south of the Twin Cities in Minnesota. I blog mostly about food, finding healthy balance in life, holistic wellness, my travel adventures with my husband Dana, my German shepherd named Moose, and recently just announced my pregnancy!
Now let’s talk good food.
I pulled out all of the stops to create a delicious and gluten-free (if you use gf soy sauce) recipe for you all!
This one is great for the summer because 1. It’s cold, and 2. It would be an excellent contribution to a potluck or BBQ!
I present to you…
Mmmm…mmmm. Thai Chicken Quinoa Salad! This salad comes together in no time and is so perfectly balanced. It’s full of protein from the quinoa, chicken, and the peanuts. It will satisfy everyone at any age (minus anybody with a peanut allergy—-sorry)!
Now, I realize it looks like a lot of ingredients but don’t let it intimidate you! It’s easy!
- 2 chicken breasts
- sprinkle garlic powder
- sprinkle of onion powder
- sprinkle of dried ground ginger
- squeeze of lime juice
- sprinkle of soy sauce
- 3/4 cup red onion diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper diced
- 2 cups cabbage thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup cilantro plus 1/4 cup or garnish chopped
- 2/3 cup carrots diced
- 2 cups quinoa cooked and cooled
- 2 green onions chopped (for topping)
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. ginger powder
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. rice wine vinegar
- squirt of sriracha sauce more or less depending on how spicy you like your food!
- splash of water if needed to thin out sauce
- Marinade chicken in garlic powder, onion powder, ground ginger, lime juice and soy sauce for at least one hour. Then bake or grill chicken until internal temperature reads 165 degrees F. I grilled mine and they turned out great! Set aside to let cool. Then cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine salad ingredients except for 1/4 cup of cilantro and the green onions (reserve these for garnish).
- In a microwave safe bowl, mix together peanut butter and honey. Microwave for 15 seconds if you need help loosening the mixture. Then add remaining ingredients.
- Into a large bowl, combine the salad, the chicken, and the sauce. Mix well to combine. Finish by garnishing with cilantro and green onions. Enjoy cold!
Thank you again to Kim for letting me be a part of Hungry Healthy Girl today! Feel free to stop over at beautifullynutty.com and say hi!
Have a happy day!!