Roasted Squash and Mushroom Meat Tacos
Hi, guys! How’s it shakin’? My week is breezing right on by…. thank goodness. I’m thinking this weekend may call for Divergent and sushi! 🙂
I debated posting this recipe today because the photos just do not do these tacos justice. I made these for dinner on Saturday night. The sun was going down and everyone was hungry, so the food photography was a bit rushed. No worries, though, these Roasted Squash and Mushroom Meat Tacos were so good I’ll be making them for lunch soon and having another photo shoot. And I’ll make sure I’m not so ravenous when I do!
As I mentioned in my What I Ate Wednesday post, yesterday, I got the idea for these squash and mushroom tacos from the blog A Couple Cooks. I ended up veering from their recipe quite a bit though, due to the ingredients that I had on hand and what I knew my hubby would like. Even though I can take or leave meat, Brad really prefers to have lean chicken, turkey or fish with his dinner. The tacos from A Couple Cooks were vegan (without the added sauce), but I decided to combine pre-sliced white mushrooms (chopped very fine in the food processor) and lean ground turkey cooked together with taco seasoning. I’ve used mushrooms before to boost the nutritional value of my ground meat and make it go further. My non-mushroom-lovin’ picky kids didn’t even notice and gobbled up their fair share of tacos!
- 1 butternut squash or 2 sweet potatoes chopped and peeled
- 1.5 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 can refried black beans or regular black beans if preferred
- 8 oz. mushrooms pulsed in the food processor to resemble ground meat
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey or chicken
- 1 packet taco seasoning or homemade taco seasoning I used Trader Joe's taco seasoning.
- 1 large avocado mashed with garlic powder salt, lime juice, red pepper flakes and paprika (optional)
- fresh chopped cilantro
- 5-6 to rtillas I used La Tortilla brand whole wheat tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper or foil for easy clean up. Microwave squash for a few minutes to make it a little soft and easier to peel. Cut the squash vertically, scoop out the seeds, peel each half and cut into 1/4 inch cubes.
- Toss the butternut squash with 1.5 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon salt and a generous amount of pepper. Roast for about 30 minutes.
- While squash is roasting, prepare other ingredients and cook meat and mushrooms. Heat black beans in a small pot over low-medium heat. Pulse mushrooms for a few seconds in food processor, until it resembles ground meat. Cook ground turkey with diced mushroom over medium heat with your favorite taco seasoning.
- Chop the cilantro and prepare any other toppings that you like for tacos, including guacamole. I topped mine with diced tomatoes too.
- Heat tortillas in a small skillet with cooking spray before serving. To serve, spread black beans and guacamole on the tortilla and top with squash, mushroom meat, cilantro and any other toppings you desire.
You may notice the white sauce on my tacos in the picture. This was a sauce from the A Couple Cooks recipe. Their sauce recipe is a mixture of sour cream and adobe sauce from a can of chipotle peppers. I adapted it and used Greek yogurt and adobe sauce. It was just okay. I wouldn’t waist my time again. The tacos were tasty enough without it and Brad didn’t even really like it. These Roasted Squash and Mushroom Meat Tacos are seriously so delish and totally adaptable to whatever veggies and/or toppings you love! Hope you give them a try!
Something to think about…..
Have you ever tried squash on a taco?
What’s your favorite taco topping?
Any plans to see Divergent at the theater?
Enter the Balance Bar and J.R. Watkins cleaning product/soap giveaway! It ends at midnight.