Pretty Red Pancakes for your Valentine
These pretty red pancakes make the perfect treat for your Valentine! They are made with a super healthy secret ingredient… any guesses? It’s BEETS! Did you know beets have almost 50 times the antioxidant content as carrots? And they make for a very colorful way to start off the day with your Valentine sweetie!
So you may be thinking… “Ugh, beets do not belong in pancakes!” Well, I can assure you, these flapjacks are wonderful- lightly sweet with a moist texture and lovely flavor. They’re so easy, too.
To keep things really simple and the ingredient list down, I used Kodiak Cakes Flapjack and Waffle mix. Kodiak Cakes mix creates a pancake with no added fat, sugar or cholesterol, that cooks up light and tasty every time. I’m a huge fan, if you couldn’t tell. I buy my Kodiak Cakes mix at Target, but if you don’t have a Target near you, check for other locations and purchasing online is always an option. Plus, they have the most delicious muffins in a cup, oatmeal in a cup and granola in a cup. These are my go-to when I’m running late in the morning.
- 1/4 cup beet puree to make beet puree- roast a small beet (wrapped in foil for 40 minutes at 425 F and then blend in a blender or food processor)
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese yogurt would probably work too
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk any milk or water will work
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup Kodiak Cake Flapjack and Waffle Mix
- Optional toppings; such as fruit maple syrup, and/or powdered sugar
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat and spray with a natural cooking spray.
- Combine the first five ingredients; beet puree through cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Stir in the Kodiak Cake mix.
- Drop desired size spoonfuls of batter onto skillet. You can even shape batter into a heart with a spoon. Cook flapjacks a few minutes on each side. Try not to let your flapjacks get too brown, as it takes away from the red coloring.
- Serve with desired toppings and enjoy.
Something to think about….
Have you ever tried baking with beets?
Have you ever tried Kodiak Cakes Flapjack and Waffle mixes? They’re my favorite and I’m having so much fun creating recipes for them!
If you love this beet pancake recipe, you may enjoy these other recipes on the blog-
Berry Beet Muffins (The photos are awful, but the muffins are really yummy. Reminder to self- remake and retake photos.)
Disclosure: I’m provided Kodiak Cakes products and develop recipes for the Kodiak Cakes blog for compensation. I was not compensated for this post and all opinions are my own. This recipe first appeared on the Kodiak Cakes blog.