Healthy Fresh Apricot Blueberry Oat Bars
These healthy oat bars are the perfect combination of sweet and tart. Fresh apricots and blueberries are truly a match made in heaven!
Happy Friday, beautiful people! I’m still ridding my kitchen of the over abundance of tasty apricots and in the process have created lots of deliciousness. Yesterday, I shared my healthy Wheat Pancakes with Fresh Apricot Pecan Topping (I’ve been mixing this topping into my oatmeal and yogurt… delish!) and today, let’s talk healthy Fresh Apricot Blueberry Oat Bars.
It’s almost officially summer and as of today I’m on summer vacation, so as far as I’m concerned it is summer. That means it’s time to break out the summery fruits. I’m dreaming of watermelon, cantaloupe, melon, peaches, plums, mangoes and strawberries. As I mentioned yesterday; my husband lucked into a ton of apricots. And so we have two recipes in a row, featuring apricots.
Apricots are a summer fruit and are available, June to August. Apricots are rich in vitamins A and C, and also minerals like calcium and iron. They contain no fat and very little carbs and calories. And we all know how great blueberries are… they have one of the highest antioxidant capacities among all fruits, vegetables, spices and seasonings.
These healthy Fresh Apricot Blueberry Oat Bars combine two of my favorite fruits and let me tell you they are a match made in heaven. These bars are totally adaptable, though. If you don’t have blueberries or apricots on hand, use any other fruit in place of them. I bet diced strawberries and peaches would be mighty tasty! Don’t even get me started on the oat crust and topping… it is absolutely scrumptious and now I’m wanting to come up with some other recipes to use with this crumbly crust. To be quite honest, it was pretty difficult for me to limit myself to one bar. My fork just kept finding its way back in the baking dish. 😉 These are even healthy enough to be eaten for breakfast. Oh, and I bet they would be incredible crumbled over some blueberry yogurt.
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar packed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 1/4 cups oats
- 2 tablespoons orange or lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat pastry flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh apricots
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375º F. Spray an 8x8" baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, coconut oil, oats and juice. Pulse until combined and crumbly. Measure out ¾ cup of the oat mixture and set aside.
- Press the remaining oat mixture in the bottom of prepared baking dish. (Use the back of a measuring cup to press it down evenly)
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, salt, maple syrup, lemon juice, apricots and blueberries. Spoon fruit mixture over crust.
- Top the fruit mixture with the reserved ¾ cup of oat topping. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown on the edges. Let cool for about 10 minutes and cut into bars. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from the Skinny Blueberry Crumble Bars at Yummy Healthy Easy.
Yeah… this photo shoot was a little difficult to get through….
Something to think about….
What summer fruit are you loving?
Do you have a go-to fruit bar recipe?
Are you doing anything fun this weekend?
Have a fabulous Friday and enjoy your weekend!