What is more delicious than a meal that includes chicken and mashed potatoes? One that includes Healthy Chicken and Mashed Potato Waffles, that’s what!
On the off chance that you have leftover mashed potatoes sitting in the fridge begging to be eaten (I know- it’s not likely), let’s think a little outside the box. Will they waffle? Absolutely! And with fabulous results. My mashed potato waffles came out so tender, light and airy. My whole family was completely down with the texture and taste of this breakfast classic turned dinner favorite.
I went a little bit sweet and a little bit savory with these Healthy Chicken and Mashed Potato Waffles, pairing them with the best gluten-free pan-fried chicken, avocado slices and lick-the-spoon maple sriracha syrup. Yummo! Mealtime just got way more exciting!
Your potato craving taste buds are going to be dancing in delight. Whether waffled, baked or fried; potatoes are so darn yummy. One of the greatest comfort foods! And they’re nutritious too- potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin C, a good source of potassium (even more than a banana!), a good source of B6, fat-, sodium- and cholesterol-free and only 110 calories per serving.
The chicken recipe is my absolutely favorite way to fix chicken (even my picky kiddos eat it up) and I’ve already went on and on about that. The waffles are my new go-to way to enjoy potatoes. Who new potatoes could be so fun? I knew they were delicious, but I was so pleasantly surprised by how fabulously these cooked up. I really think your family will love this meal as much as mine did. This meal is:
Sweet & savory
Unique & fun
An explosion of textures and flavors
These potato waffles also go great with salsa, sour cream or Greek yogurt and caramelized onions. Serve them up for brunch, lunch or dinner. The recipe looks long, but it moves very quickly- this meal can be ready to go in 30 minutes or less.
- FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 1 lb. raw, thinly sliced, boneless chicken breast (if you can't find thinly cut, simply use a meat mallet to smash the chicken breast)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk (any kind)
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot flour or cornstarch
- ½ tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil for frying
- FOR THE WAFFLES:
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup almond milk or other preferred milk product
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- FOR THE MAPLE SRIRACHA SYRUP: (optional)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½-1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- Optional for serving: avocado slices
- Start by preparing chicken and while chicken is setting and then later cooking, you can get waffle batter mixed and cooking.
- FOR THE CHICKEN:
- Place the chicken breast in a sealable baggie.
- Pour beaten egg and milk into bag with chicken and let it sit for about 10 minutes while you prepare the seasoning mix.
- In a small bowl, mix the coconut flour, arrowroot flour or cornstarch, paprika, salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Open the bag and drain out as much egg / milk as possible, but not completely dry.
- Pour the seasoning mix into the bag, close the top and massage it into the chicken, to evenly coat all of chicken.
- In a large skillet over medium-high, heat one tablespoon coconut oil. Add a single layer of chicken (careful not to crowd it) to the pan and fry on each side for about 3 minutes or until it's completely cooked through. Depending on the size of your skillet, you may need to cook chicken in two batches.
- Once chicken is thoroughly cooked, transfer from skillet to paper towel lined plate.
- FOR THE WAFFLES:
- Heat the waffle iron to it's highest setting.
- In a large bowl, mix together the potatoes, flour, egg, evoo, milk, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Ideally, the potato batter will be a soft and sticky dough. Place a scoop right in the center of your very hot waffle maker and close the lid. Cook for a few minutes until crisp on the outside, about 3 to 4 minutes. Repeat with remaining potatoes.
- FOR THE MAPLE SRIRACHA SYRUP
- Mix ingredients in a small bowl and enjoy drizzled over chicken and waffles.
Love this potato recipe? Try my other favorites!
Pin it for later!
Check out another unique way to enjoy potatoes, in the video below!
This post is sponsored by Honest Cooking. As always, all opinions are my own.