Healthier Flourless Monster Cookies
The perfect combination of my favorite foods- these Healthier Flourless Monster Cookies are a cookie monster’s dream- gluten-free and made with mostly wholesome ingredients. Beware, though, there’s no way you can eat just one!
I dressed these monster cookies up especially for Valentine’s Day. They really do include the best possible combination- peanut butter with chocolate and M&M’s. I can’t get enough of these cookies and either could my kiddos. We plowed through these in a matter of two days!
They are made healthier, so that’s a plus! Yes, they have M&M’s and a little brown sugar, but when compared to the average monster cookies they’re not too bad. Most of the ingredients are actually pretty good for you.
Oats and peanut butter are the signature ingredients of a monster cookie- there’s really no need for flour. Simply grind 1/2 of the oats to give the cookies a finer, more even texture. And, of course, the M&M’s and chocolate chips are must haves. I kept the sugar very low and only used 1/4 cup for the whole recipe. With the sweetness from the chocolate chips and M&M’s, you won’t need very much sugar to give these cookies an incredibly scrumptious taste.
The cookies don’t spread much, so if you like a flatter cookie, like me, be sure to flatten the dough out before placing each cookie on the baking sheet. I also learned the hard way that rather than mixing the chocolate chips and M&M’s into the dough, it works much better to just press the chocolate and candy into the tops of the cookies before baking.
You need to make these asap! I promise, you won’t regret it. These cookies are:
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats divided
- 1 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup peanut butter*
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips**
- Optional: 1/4-1/2 cup M&M's minis would work great
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet pan with parchment or a baking mat, set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, add 1 cup of the oats, cornstarch, baking powder and salt, pulse until the oats are finely ground but not completely powdered.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, beat the peanut butter and sugar. Add the egg and vanilla, mixing until combined. With mixing speed on low, gradually add the oat mixture and the remaining oats, mix just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips with a spoon or use your hands to fully incorporate chips. Alternatively, just press chips into the tops of the cookies before baking.
- Roll about a tablespoon of dough into a ball and then flatten slightly and place cookie onto prepared baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire racks to cool completely. Enjoy!
*any nut or seed butter will work
**I use Enjoy Life Brand. They are vegan, soy and nut free.
Adapted from Epicurious.
If you like these Healthier Monster Cookies, you’re bound to love these other recipes!
Something to think about….
Any big Valentine’s Day plans?
Do you have a special sweet treat you’re planning to make?
Speaking of Valentine’s Day, have you entered to win $1,000 from Amazon? Quick- the giveaway ends soon!