Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad with Grapes and Pecans
This Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad is light and tasty lunch idea! Sweet grapes combined with crunchy pecans and celery are a delicious contrast to chicken and creamy Greek yogurt.
Happy Mother’s Day to all of you lovely mamas out there…. and most of all to mine! If you’re a mom, I hope you have fun plans for today and if you’re not a mom, hopefully you’ll be spending time with your mom and making her feel special today. My mom, sister and I will be going to get pedicures and then going out to dinner…. can’t wait!
Now on to a yummy chicken salad recipe that I first posted on April 27th, 2013. I only had one picture of my chicken salad sandwich and it wasn’t too appetizing. Since I was remaking the recipe; I decided to take some new photos and repost the recipe. Not only is this Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad a light and tasty lunch; it also makes a great salad to serve at Spring parties or get-togethers; like baby showers, bridal showers and/or book clubs. We’re also keeping things super healthy by using Greek yogurt instead of mayo; which lowers the calorie count and increases the calcium and protein. Works for me!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast(s), cooked and cooled
- 1 cup halved red seedless grapes
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans toasted
- 1/3 cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt I use Chobani
- 1/4 cup 1 stalk diced celery
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- To cook chicken for this recipe, salt & pepper chicken and bake at 375 degrees F. for 15 minutes on each side for a total of 30 minutes. Alternatively, pan-fry in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, turning after about 8-10 minutes on each side and until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Feel free to use rotisserie or precooked chicken too.
- Shred or chop chicken and combine with grapes and pecans in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, celery, honey, vinegar, salt and pepper. Transfer the yogurt mixture to the medium bowl with chicken, grapes and pecans. Stir to combine.
- Store the salad in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
From Jillian Michaels Master Your Metabolism Cookbook
Per 1/2 cup serving of chicken salad:
Calories: 118.6 kcal, Fat: 5.1 g, Protein: 12.9 g, Carbohydrates: 5.6 g, Sodium: 93.8 mg
With plump sweet grapes and crunchy pecans, this lightened up sandwich won’t even taste healthy and believe me, you won’t miss the mayo at all! You can eat the salad on a wrap, sandwich bread or, like shown in the picture, on a flat sandwich round. It’s really kid-friendly too…. my son, especially, gobbles it up. He’s 12 (13 next month) and pretty much eating us out of house and home! 😉
This recipe is totally customizable – you can replace grapes with dates or figs and pecans with almonds or walnuts. You could even add in dried cranberries and/or chopped apple or pear….. just be sure to add more Greek yogurt, though.
Something to think about…..
Are you doing anything special today?
What was your weekend workout?
What are your favorite chicken salad add-ins?
Have a super fabulous Mother’s Day!