Gettin’ Figgy Wit It
Yay! Happy Friday!!!!
I’m so ready for the weekend. Madelyn has been off and on sick since last Thursday and now we think she may have strep throat, so I’m headed to the doctor with her this morning…. ugh! Not my favorite way to get the weekend started.
But onto happier talk…. how’s that for a
clever corny title? I just couldn’t help myself. It was the first thing that came to mind, when I was thinking up a title for sharing my new favorite green smoothie…. The Figgy Green Smoothie.
I love experimenting with green smoothies…. there are so many different options when it comes to add-ins. I typically always use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, a couple of handfuls of spinach, 1/2 to a full frozen banana and I usually add in a little cucumber and celery, too. Beyond that the possibilities are endless! If you’re a green smoothie beginner or just looking for new ways to spruce of your green smoothie; check out my Green Smoothie Tutorial.
The idea to create a green smoothie using frozen figs came about when my girl, Laura, mentioned finding frozen figs at Trader Joe’s. I was pretty intrigued. I LOVE figs, but I’ve never made a fig smoothie!
I knew a fig smoothie would be tasty, but I had no idea just how delicious a fig smoothie would turn out. The figs give the smoothie a lovely sweetness that almost tastes like cake-batter. Yes, please!
Figgy Green Smoothie
- 3/4 cup almond or coconut milk, I used almond
- 1-2 large handful, s of greens (I used spinach)
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 2 frozen green figs
- 1 tablespoon Chia seeds, optional
- nut or seed butter
- Add all ingredients to blender starting with the milk and ending with Chia seeds, if using. Seasonings, sweeteners and seeds are best added at the top of the smoothie, so they are thoroughly combined.
- Blend all ingredients well. Pour into an 8 oz. glass or cup and enjoy! Alternatively, pour into a bowl, add toppings like cereal or granola and eat with a spoon.
Something to think about….
What’s something new and unexpected that you’ve added to your green smoothie?
Have you tried figs in a smoothie before? Have you tried Trader Joe’s frozen figs? Any thoughts on other ways to use them?
Any fun weekend plans?
Have a fun weekend!