Incredible Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes with cashew cream icing
Fudgy and oh so decadent, you’ll never miss the flour in these gluten-free, paleo chocolate cupcakes. The icing is made with cashews and makes for the ultimate birthday cupcakes! Such an easy recipe too- all of the cupcake ingredients are mixed together in one bowl.
It’s somebody’s birthday today! That’s right, mine! Since I have to go to work and it’s basically like any other day; I thought I would celebrate on the blog with cupcakes for What I Ate Wednesday. I also might have to fit in some healthy birthday pancakes too! I did celebrate my birthday this past weekend with some delicious Italian food, wine and gifts… all is good! 😉
If you’re not wanting to waste time with the cashew cream, don’t worry about it. These flourless chocolate cupcakes are so dense and fudgy, almost brownie-like, they are wonderful without icing too. These got rave reviews from my whole family. My husband has requested an entire cake, using this recipe!
It works out quite perfectly that the recipe only makes 6 regular muffin-sized cupcakes because I frankly have no self-control around this deliciousness! But if you’re feeding a crowd, just double the recipe. If you’re only making the 6 cupcakes, you will have leftover icing; which is so not a problem because it works well as a fruit dip. 🙂
The cupcakes can be stored on your counter-top for about 1-2 days, but any longer than that and I would store in the fridge. They don’t have any nasty preservatives, so they will mold quickly. I stored my iced cupcakes in the fridge and they were actually lovely eaten chilled.
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup extra virgin coconut oil
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar or 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup cashew pieces soaked in water for 2-3 hours, then drained
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2-3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Prepare muffin pan with six cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl with a stand or hand mixer, beat eggs, coconut oil, cocoa powder, honey, vanilla, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined, but don't over-mix.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners.
- Bake for 20 to 28 minutes until the tops are firm to the touch and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool before adding the icing.
- After the cashews have soaked for 2-3 hours, or overnight, combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
The cream of tarter is used to give baking soda an acid to react with, to act as a leavening agent. If you don't have cream of tarter on hand, substitute with 2 teaspoons baking powder.
Cupcake recipe from Carol at Ditch the Wheat.
Something to think about….
What is your birthday month?
Have you ever baked a flourless dessert?
What’s your favorite birthday dessert? When we went out for my birthday this weekend, I had the most delicious Tiramisu ever. Heaven on Earth, I tell ya!!!
Have a happy day! Also, be sure to enter my funny t-shirt giveaway below and head over to Jenn’s blog to check out other What I Ate Wednesday posts. 😉