TGIF! On the last day of snack week; I’m bringing you a family and personal fav. I know you will enjoy it as much as I do.
One of my favorite snacks growing up was rice krispy treats. My brother loved them so much he wanted them for every b-day, rather than having a cake. For his groom’s cake at his wedding, he even had a rice krispy treat violin. It was so cool!
I also remember a time when my parents were out of town. My grandparents were staying with us and my sister and I snuck into the kitchen and ATTEMPTED to make them. Luckily my grandma smelt something burning before we burnt the whole house down. 😉 This was at a time before they sold the little blue prepackaged rice krispy treats.
Well, I can tell you that my recipe for rice krispy treats is better for you than the original homemade version and MUCH better for you than those prepackaged rice krispy treats you can buy at the grocery store. And believe me when I say that they even taste better than these two versions…..I promise!! Hey, they involve chocolate and almond butter, so you know I must be telling the truth. 😉
These don’t require very many ingredients. They’re quick, and even better, there is no baking involved.
- ½ cup almond butter, or other preferred nut/seed butter
- ¼ cup brown rice syrup
- ¼ cup raw 100% pure honey
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt, or to taste
- 3.5 cups Nature’s Path GF (Koala Crisp) chocolate brown rice crisp cereal
- Chocolate drizzle: ¼ cup mini chocolate chips (Enjoy Life brand), 1 tbsp almond butter, pinch salt
- Prepare an 8 x 8 square pan, by spraying with cooking spray.
- In a large pot over low-medium heat, add the brown rice syrup, honey, almond butter, and salt. Stir well until combined and heated through. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Stir in 3.5 cups of rice crisp cereal until thoroughly combined.
- Scoop into pan and spread evenly. Press down with fingers. Place in freezer to set for 5 minutes while you make the chocolate glaze.
- In a microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips. Microwave for about 60 seconds, stirring after 30 seconds. Be careful not to burn. Stir in the almond butter and pinch of salt.
- Remove pan from freezer and drizzle or spread with melted chocolate mixture. Place back in the freezer until firm, about 15 minutes. Slice into squares.
- Store bars in refrigerator.
You won’t hear any complaining about this after school snack. These also make a fabulous after dinner dessert or special treat.
These are just plain and simply one of my all time favorite treats to make….so easy and so decandant!!
Hope ya’ll enjoyed snack week! I did, but I’m also ready to post some lunch/dinner recipes.
What was your favorite snack as a kid?
What’s your favorite snack now?
If you have kids, what’s their favorite snack?
Have a GREAT weekend everyone!!