Cranberry Pumpkin Bread
I hope you’re not completely over the pumpkin, yet, because I have a wonderfully delicious pumpkin bread recipe to share with you. I really can never get enough pumpkin. I’ve been making pumpkin pie oats for months, but I don’t have them every day, so no burnout. This recipe was born from the fact that I bought two bags of cranberries, intending on making cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving, but that didn’t happen, so I had to find someway to use them up. A sweet quick bread just seemed like the obvious choice!
I used one of my favorite flours, whole wheat pastry flour; which gave the bread a dense cake-like texture. The maple syrup and pumpkin resulted in one of the most moist and flavorful breads that I’ve made, comparable to the applesauce bread from a couple of months ago. And the sweet bread with the tart cranberries is the perfect combination! You could also mix in nuts to add a lovely crunch. I kept mine nut-free in hopes that my kiddos would eat some of the bread too. Oh and did he ever….. Landen LOVED this bread!
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour all-purpose or whole wheat flour work too
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup orange juice or water
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted (or other oil)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries thawed if frozen
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a large 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk all wet ingredients until combined. I add the melted coconut oil last and whisked vigorously to keep it from hardening back up.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until the batter is combined, but don't over mix.
- Add cranberries and fold into batter.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake for 60 minutes and until toothpick comes out clean in the center.
- Enjoy with coffee or tea!
Well, after 4 days of no school due to icy roads, it looks like we’re going today; with a two hour delay. I hope I can remember how to put on my makeup…. it’s been 6 days makeup-free; which has actually been really nice. I have ventured out several times to go to the gym, the grocery store and last night I made a quick shopping trip to Fort Worth. I could seriously get used to staying home. My quiet mornings drinking coffee, blogging and listening to Christmas music have been the best. These snow days, home, have been such a gift of time and in such a hectic time of year, it’s been wonderful to have to slow down and really enjoy the season.
Something to think about…..
Are you over pumpkin? If so, you might just want to pin this bread for later! It’s so tasty, I don’t want you to miss out on it completely. 😉
Have you ever tried baking with whole wheat pastry flour? I really like the texture that it gives to breads and other baked goods. I use this brand. This is a HUGE bag for only $3.74.
What is the weather like where you live? Any ice?
Hope the rest of your week is full of fun! Can you believe, only 13 days until Christmas? Yikes!