Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread (two ways)
I’ve been anxious to post this recipe for quite some time!!! I was just holding out till after the first day of Fall to post my first pumpkin recipe of the season. The time is finally right!!!
This bread seriously surpassed my expectations. I kept it as healthy as possible without sacrificing taste. It’s husband and picky kid approved, so believe me it is not lacking in the flavor department. What’s really great is that it can be made two ways…. if you’re feeling muffins, make muffins, but if a large loaf of bread is what you’re after, there’s no need to change the recipe ingredients!
I used spelt flour to make my bread and I had great results, though any flour will work. I found that when I used honey, the bread was a little sweeter than when I used maple syrup. If you like your bread on the sweeter side, I would use honey, but both were very tasty.
- 1.5 cups flour spelt, whole wheat, whole wheat pastry or all-purpose
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice or 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp nutmeg and 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar I had great results with 1/4 cup coconut sugar.
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips I used Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips.
- Prepare either a 9-inch loaf pan or muffin pan with cooking spray or muffin tins and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. for muffins.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir together all wet ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. I stir all wet ingredients together without eggs and then stir in eggs quickly to keep the coconut oil from hardening back up.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir without over mixing. Fold chocolate chips into the batter.
- Pour batter into loaf pan or muffin tins and bake.
- For muffins- bake at 350 for 20-25 mins and for loaf- bake at 350 for 45-50 mins. (oven temps can vary, so bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry)
- Allow muffins or loaf to cool for 5-10 mins and then enjoy!
Something to think about…..
Which do you prefer? Muffins or slices of bread? If you’re a muffin person, you may want to check out another wonderful pumpkin muffin recipe.
Who has plans to make some kind of pumpkin bread this Fall?
The winners of the Kodiak Cakes flapjack/waffle mix are:
Email me your address and I’ll get the voucher right to you!
Yay! Tomorrow’s Friday!