Berry Beet Muffins
I first spotted a recipe for beet muffins in the September issue of Women’s Health magazine while waiting in line at the grocery store thumbing through the magazine. It definitely caught my eye, but then it was my turn in line and the magazine went back on the rack. Then this weekend while waiting at the hair salon, I was thumbing through the magazine yet again and there the recipe was again. So, I did what any normal muffin hungry person would do and I took the magazine with me when I left. 🙂
The recipe in Women’s Health gave me the idea, but I’ve adapted it some to make it a little more figure friendly and healthy. I used spelt flour instead of all-purpose, coconut oil instead of vegetable oil and I used honey rather than sugar. My substitutions definitely didn’t sacrifice taste because these are awesome!
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup pure raw honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup peeled finely grated beets (from 2 medium cooked or steamed beets)
- 1 cups spelt flour all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour will work
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries lightly crushed
- serve with Greek yogurt fresh raspberries, and/or nutbutter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare muffin baking pan with muffin tins or coat pan with an all-natural cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, honey, eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla until well blended. Then stir in grated beets.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and allspice; then add to the beet mixture, combining well. Fold in the raspberries.
- Divide the mixture among the muffin tins and bake for about 15-25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes.
- Muffins can be left out on the countertop for 2 days, but any longer than that, store in the fridge.
20g carbs, 4g protein
Something to think about…..
What’s your favorite kind of muffin? I’m pretty partial to blueberry muffins, but I also love banana nut and pumpkin chocolate chip muffins.
Have you ever tried incorporating a veggie into a sweet treat?
What’s your favorite grab-n-go breakfast?
Have a great day!!