Hi, friends! How are those New Year’s Resolutions or goals coming along? Are you still sticking with them or are you completely over it? I’ve done awesome sticking with my green smoothie challenge this month, but honestly, I’m really getting tired of the green smoothies. I just want to face plant into a big bowl of warm oats with a huge dollop of peanut butter and so, yesterday morning and this morning, that’s exactly what I did…. oops! It’s just so darn cold in the morning and I’ve had what feels like a million green smoothies over the course of the month. Don’t get me wrong, I do love me a veggie packed smoothie, I just need some variety. 😉
Whether you’re eating clean because of a resolution or you’re keeping things light and healthy because that’s the way you always roll; this salad made with shredded Brussels sprouts and Blood Oranges is one the you’re going to want to try. I have been absolutely loving Blood Oranges lately. They are the perfect combination of tart and sweet; which works perfectly with the maple and tahini in the dressing. A complete melding of lovely flavors into one gorgeous salad.
- 12 Brussels sprouts, stems discarded (about 2 large handfuls)
- 2 cups or handfuls fresh baby spinach or a spinach salad mix, coarsely chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup Feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 blood orange, peeled, sections and orange slices cut in half
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice from freshly squeezed blood orange (about 1 orange)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (honey will work too)
- ¼ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Place Brussels sprouts in a food processor and pulse several times, until spouts are shredded. Alternatively, you can slice Brussels sprouts as thin as possible and then break up clumps with your fingers.
- In a large bowl, toss to combine shredded Brussels sprouts, baby spinach, walnuts, Feta and oranges.
- In a small bowl or jar, whisk all dressing ingredients together.
- Serve salad in 2-3 bowls with several spoonfuls of dressing.
*Add grilled chicken, fish, shrimp or a veggie burger for a heartier salad.
*Double salad recipe, if you're feeding a crowd or a family of more than 3.
*With this dressing recipe, you will have a enough for at least 2 more salads.
Blood Oranges are in season guys. I’ve seen them popping up everywhere and if you haven’t given them a try, you so need to make it a priority. I have another recipe up my sleeve to celebrate the fantastic flavor of the Blood Orange….. and it’s a dessert. 😉
Something to think about…..
Have you ever tried a salad with shredded Brussels sprouts? They make for a very satisfying and filling salad!
Have you tried Blood Oranges? If so, what do you think?
Any fun weekend plans? Nothing too exciting here. I can promise there will be some workouts, a grocery run, some recipe creation and a nail appointment. Hopefully we can squeeze some fun in too!
Have a great weekend, guys!
Of possible interest: If you’re in search of a super delicious dessert to make this weekend, look no further….. you need to make this Raw Vegan “Cheese” Cake. It’s not made with cheese at all, but instead, cashew cream. And if you’re doing food prep this weekend, these Almond Butter Snack Balls are really great little grab-n-go snacks to have around.