Good morning! I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I actually celebrated with my in-laws on Wednesday and will be celebrating with my family on Sunday. Brad, the kids and I did venture out to watch Catching Fire. I really liked it, but it’s pretty long. I got in a 5 mile run and other than that it was a leisurely day spent inside, eating, relaxing by the fire and watching football… and enjoying this White Chicken Chili!
I posted this White Chicken Chili, last year, on Thanksgiving Day. It is the perfect recipe to adapt and, instead of using chicken, use leftover turkey. I just made it a couple of days ago and decided to update it with some prettier pictures. Are you a fan of leftovers? I’m a huge fan of leftovers, especially Thanksgiving Day leftovers. I typically eat them the same way that they were originally prepared, but sometimes I’ll make a sandwich out of the turkey, cranberry sauce and rolls….. yum!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilis
- 3 tbsp 100% white whole wheat flour (any flour works)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 (16 oz) great northern beans or white navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth
- 1½ cups finely chopped or shredded chicken or turkey, cooked
- salt & pepper to taste
- Favorite toppings (I like shredded cheese, greek yogurt, salsa and avocado.)
- In a large skillet, cook onion in oil for 5 mins or until transparent. Add chilies, flour and cumin; cook and stir for 2 mins.
- Add beans and chicken broth; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer for 10 mins or until thickened.
- Add chicken or turkey; cook until hot.
- Garnish with your preferred toppings and add salt & pepper to taste.
Don’t stop with chili. These confetti corn muffins that I posted yesterday are delicious and go perfectly with any chili, soup or stew. I suggest using Bob’s Red Mill cornbread mix. It’s delicious and doesn’t contain any nasty ingredients, like your typical cornbread mix.
Something to think about…..
Did you do any black Friday shopping? Any luck? I have my nieces birthday party to go to today, but my mom and I will be hitting the mall tomorrow. Can’t wait!
Do you love Thanksgiving leftovers as much as I do? How do you like to use your Thanksgiving leftovers?
Have you ever had White Chicken Chili? It’s one of my very favorite chili recipes. I make it every couple of months. It’s so easy and delish!
Enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend! Safe travels, if you’ll be traveling back home this weekend!