Goooood Moooorrrrning!!! Hope everyone had a wonderful labor day weekend. It was a good one for me and I had great luck in the kitchen. I have four new recipes to share with you guys and I picked my very favorite one to share today.
This idea originally started out as a chicken taco salad, but when I went to make it, I realized my chicken was frozen….. what to do???? I had two cans of tuna and I thought, what the hey, a southwestern spin on a tuna salad might be interesting and is something different. I’m so glad that I gave it a try, but if you’re not much of a tuna fan; by all means use chicken.
The flavor of this salad really surpassed my expectations. If you don’t make it, you’ll never know what you’re missing…..and you’ll really be missing out. 😉 The salad is so versatile too. I had originally created it to be a taco salad with crushed tortilla chips, but it’s also fabulous on a wrap or corn tortilla. The salad could totally pass as a dip, also. Make it on game day and serve it with the choice of tortilla chips or wraps.
Quick tip if you want to serve it on corn tortillas….
Do you have problems with your corn tortillas falling apart? The best way to cook them is in a skillet with a natural nonstick cooking spray. I spray a little coconut oil cooking spray in a large skillet over high heat. Put two tortillas in the skillet at a time and cook for about 3 minutes on each side. Perfection!!
The most flavorful tuna salad that will ever touch your lips!!!! Serve as a taco salad, wrap style or dip style.
- 1 cup shredded tuna or 2 (5 oz.) cans tuna (chicken works too)
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 can sliced black olives, drained
- 1 can sweet yellow corn (or 1 cup frozen corn, thawed)
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 romaine heart of lettuce, chopped well
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 ripe avocados or 1 large Haas avocado, diced
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips (optional)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (I used Nasoya Vegan Nayonaise)
- 2/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients together, excluding the tortilla chips.
- In a small bowl stir all dressing ingredients together.
- Pour dressing over salad, gradually.
- Toss to combine, then gradually add more dressing. Add salt to taste, as needed.
- Top with tortilla chips, if desired or serve in a wrap or dip style with tortilla chips. Enjoy!
A few ingredients that I used, worth noting are the Nasoya Vegan Nayonaise and the brand of tuna that I use. This was my first time using a vegan mayo. I really liked the ingredient list of the Nasoya Vegan Nayonaise and the fact that it is free of preservatives and uses only non-GMO ingredients. I pretty much always buy Wild Planet tuna and they just started selling it at Costco. I use Wild Planet because it is 100% pure wild caught tuna and there is no BPA used in the can lining.
Of possible interest…..
Something to think about…..
How was your labor day weekend? Did you do anything super fun?
Are you a tuna fan or would you be sticking with the chicken? Don’t worry if you’re vegetarian, this salad would also be fabulous without any meat at all.
Have you tried a vegan mayo before? Have you tried Wild Planet tuna?
Have a terrific Tuesday!