Homemade Coconut Cream Pie Larabars

Happy Valentine’s Day!! Hope you all have something special planned tonight or this weekend! We’re over halfway through the work week….we can make it!!

I don’t know about you, but I love a good snack bar. In fact, I really have to limit myself to a couple a week and try to only use bars for times when it would be difficult for me to eat another type of snack. Bars are just so easy and convenient…no mess.

My very favorite bars are Larabars! Not only do they taste awesome, but they only contain natural and very minimal ingredients. For example; my favorite flavor, the Coconut Cream Pie, only contains dates, almonds, cashews, unsweetened coconut, and extra virgin coconut oil.

Larabars are my favorite bar on the market, but they’re not the cheapest and my kiddos really prefer balls to bars. So….I decided to try out a homemade version. I didn’t have any cashews on hand {I used them all for my snickerdoodle cashew butter} so the only nut I used was almonds.

Start off by grinding up 1 cup raw almonds in a food processor; until they are seedy, but not yet flour. Set nuts aside and pulse 1 cup pitted Medjool dates a couple of times. Add nuts back to the food processor with the dates. See picture below to get a good idea of how the nuts and dates should look after being processed.

Add 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut and 2-4 tsp extra virgin coconut oil (slightly melted) in the food processor bowl with the nuts and dates. I used 2 tsp of coconut oil and thought it may have been a little dry when I first started pressing the bars together, but it actually ended up working. After storing them in the fridge overnight, the next day when I took them for a snack they stayed together perfectly {as you can see from the picture  at the very bottom of the post}. Grind all ingredients together, until everything is well blended. Pour ingredients out onto wax paper, parchment paper or a cutting board and shape and press into a square or rectangle.

Create whatever shape you’d like. I used a pizza cutter to make squares and rectangles and then rolled some into balls.

In my opinion, these are just as good as the original. Now I really want to try creating some of the other Larabar flavors.

Homemade Coconut Cream Pie Larabars (makes about 10 bars, depending on size and shape)

-1 cup raw almonds
-1 cup Medjool dates, pitted (about 11)
-1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (I used Bob’s Red Mill brand.)
-2-4 tsp extra virgin coconut oil, slightly melted

1. In the food processor, grind almonds and then set aside. Then pulse dates a few times in the food processor.
2. Add almonds and the remainder ingredients in with dates.
3. Grind all ingredients until well blended (mixture will be crumbly). Pour out mixture onto a cutting board and shape and press into a square or rectangle. Create desired shapes with a knife or pizza cutter or roll into balls. Press together firmly with your hands and fingers.
4. Wrap bars in cling wrap and store in the fridge. Bars will harden up after being in the fridge for a couple of hours. Balls are best stored in a plastic container in the fridge.

This was the bar that I had for a snack yesterday and it stayed together perfectly and tasted great!!

Something to think about…..

Have you ever tried Larabars? What’s your favorite flavor?

Have you ever made your own bar? What type did you make?

Doing something fun for Valentine’s tonight? What  plans do you have?

Happy heart day!!

1. says

Yum! I love Larabars, especially the PB & J and Cherry Pie flavors (I have never tried the Coconut Cream Pie flavor, but apparently I should!). Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. I love the ingredients list of the bars, but you are right that they can get pricey. Making my own would certainly save me some money. Awesome idea :).
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted…WIAW: February 13, 2013My Profile

2. says

I am obsessed with bars, especially Lara bars :) I am going to give this recipe a shot once I get a hold of my best friends food processor. I have tried similar recipes in my blender only to have a mess on my hands so I will have to wait for a food processor. I love the Peanut Butter Cookie Lara Bar and have made several bars in the past. Tonight my hubby + I are going out for a sushi dinner :) Hope you are having an amazing V-Day! Love + Shine CourtStar
    Court Star @ StarSystemz recently posted…HAPPY VALENTINES DAYMy Profile

3. Taryn says

These bars look absolutely delicious. I have tried Larabars before and enjoyed them. Unfortunately the don’t usually make it into my law student budget. I love getting crafty in the kitchen and impressing my friends with how good unprocessed food can be so I’ll definitely be giving these a try!

4. says

I almost made these this morning, but something wrong is in my proportions. I ran out of coconut creme larabars so threw some things into the blender and hoped for the best! It ended up more like granola/cereal, so I ate it with a spoon. Super tasty, but not solid.

I tried again tonight and quartered your recipe, but it’s still coming out where I can’t roll into balls; it just gets crumbly. IS it because I’m too impatient to wait to refrigerate them? lol
    jennifer recently posted…Crossfit > DatingMy Profile

• Kim says

It sounds like you’re not using enough dates. If you are not using the big medjool dates, you’ll need to increase the amount. You also have to press the mixture together really firmly. Sorry you’re not having luck….

5. Lisa says

Just made these, and they are WONDERFUL. Eleven year old boy-approved! This is my son’s fave Lara Bar, but not so easy to find. His multiple allergies limit so many foods, and having a snack on-hand is SO important with a growing boy.
    Also, I split the recipe and added 1/8 cup (ground in food processor) 60% cocoa chocolate chips to the second half. Tastes like Almond Joy!
    Thanks a mil for this recipe!!

• Kim says

Thanks so much for your comment! I’m so glad that y’all liked them! Your additions sound fabulous, too!

6. Shannon says

Just made them and I am in love!!!! They were so. good. and normally I don’t like dates or anything but these were great. I rolled out the ‘dough’ and used cookie cutters to make them into shapes and put them in the freezer. They are delicious and such a perfect little snack that are healthy too which is awesome. Can’t wait to try other variations thank you so much these are awesome!!!

• Kim says

I’m so glad that you loved them!! I’m planning on trying my hand at the Snickerdoodle seasonal ones this weekend. You need to try the key lime flavored ones next… they’re my faves!