Yay! I made it day two…Thanksgiving Day recipe!
For those of you that are wanting a super healthy stuffing recipes that’s not loaded with carbs and calories, this recipe is definitely for you. And it’s even gluten-free, unlike most stuffing recipes; so everyone at your Thanksgiving table can totally enjoy this side dish. If you’re feeding a crowd, I would recommend doubling the recipe. The way the recipe is written up below, it feeds about 6-8 adults.
If you like Brussels sprouts, you will love this recipe and the cranberries add a wonderful sweetness to the other savory flavors.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups broth (chicken or vegetable) or water (I like using broth to add flavor, but water will work.)
- ½ to 1 lb. of Brussels sprouts, halved with stems removed (I used 10 oz.)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- ⅓ cup raw pecan halves, coarsley chopped
- 1 tbsp balsalmic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- In a medium sized saucepan, combine the quinoa and broth or water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and lightly simmer for 15 mins. or until liquid is nearly absorbed and the quinoa is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat evoo in a large skillet. Once skillet is heated, add in the Brussels sprouts and salt and pepper them as desired.
- At med-high heat allow Brussels sprouts to cook for about 2 mins and then add in cranberries. Continue to cook Brussels sprouts and cranberries until Brussels sprouts are lightly browned and cranberries are popping about 15 mins.
- Add in pecans and continue to cook for a few mins to lightly toast pecans.
- In a large bowl, combine Brussels sprouts, cranberries and pecans with quinoa and add in balsalmic vinegar, honey and feta. Salt and pepper to taste.
Not only is this a super tasty side dish, but also pretty and festive for the holidays. Enjoy!!
Don’t overlook cranberries while they’re in season, this time of year. Click here for info on health benefits. Did you know that cranberries have more antioxidants than any other berry?
This nutrient superfood will also be in my recipe for tomorrow! It is one of my favorite new recipes…don’t miss it!