What is a road trip without the snacks? Well, we’re fully covered in that department. We have bars, crackers and cookies.
I really wanted to come up with a cookie that would be great to take on the road, one that everyone would like and was super easy. I also had one very ripe sad banana that seriously need to be used up before we left. As I was flipping through my (very unorganized ;o) stash of recipes, I came across my grandma’s recipe for No-Bake cookies. No-Bake cookies are one of my all time favorite childhood cookies. However, these cookies don’t call for a banana, but what they do call for is 2 cups of sugar and 1/2 cup of butter…….oh my! I just can’t have that….I’m saving all of my calories for delicious mexican food on the riverwalk.
Here’s the original recipe and all of the changes.
2 cups of sugar 1/2 cup of xylitol (or sweetner of your choice)
4 tbsp cocoa
1 stick of butter (1/2 cup) 1 VERY ripe banana & 1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup of milk (I used unsweetned vanilla almond milk.)
Let the above ingredients come to a boil and boil for one minute, while your continuously stirring and mashing up the banana with a spoon.
Next, lower heat to medium and continuing to stir add in the following:
pinch of salt (I forgot to add this and I don’t think it make a bit of difference.)
2 tsp. pure vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter (I used 2 servings of PB2, which was 1/4 cup, and 1/4 cup sunbutter.)
3 cups rolled oats
Drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper and let cool. Easy peasy!
I’m still partial to the originial cookies, but these are a great substitute. A little chewier, probably because of the banana. I will definitely be making these again and may experiment a little and use brown rice cereal instead of oats.
- ½ cup of xylitol (or sweetner of your choice) (I used ¼ cup, but I think most people would prefer ½ cup.)
- 4 tbsp cocoa
- 1 VERY ripe banana
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup of milk (I used unsweetned vanilla almond milk.)
- pinch of salt (I forgot to add this and I don't think it make a bit of difference.)
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla
- ½ cup peanut butter (I used 2 servings of PB2, which was ¼ cup, and ¼ cup sunbutter.)
- 3 cups rolled oats
- Combine the first 5 ingredients and bring to a boil. Boil for one minute, while continuously stirring and mashing up the banana with a spoon.
- Next turn the heat down to medium and add the rest of the ingredients, continuing to stir.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper and let cool.
Have a GREAT weekend everyone!!